June 26, 2022

Coast guard officers on Saturday started investigating a salvaged tour boat that was concerned in a lethal accident off the Shiretoko Peninsula in Hokkaido final month.

At round 12 p.m., a few dozen coast guard personnel entered the salvaged tour boat positioned on the multipurpose work vessel Kaishin, which arrived on the port of Abashiri on Friday afternoon. Seiichi Katsurada, president of the tour boat operator, is believed to have attended.

The boat was lined by plastic sheets because the investigation came about.

With 12 individuals nonetheless lacking after the accident, members of the coast guard’s Particular Rescue Crew additionally searched contained in the boat for clues. Up to now, 14 of the 26 individuals who have been on the Kazu I tour boat have been discovered lifeless.

The first Regional Coast Guard Headquarters, primarily based within the metropolis of Otaru, is working to uncover the reason for the accident, inspecting injury to the boat. It goals to determine a case {of professional} negligence leading to dying.

The regional coast guard headquarters have already raided the workplace of the tour boar operator and questioned Katsurada, 58, on a voluntary foundation.

The coast guard is continuous the seek for the lacking individuals whereas increasing the search space to incorporate waters round Kunashiri, one of many 4 Russian-held islands claimed by Japan.

Because the our bodies of three passengers have been discovered east of the peninsula on April 28, no our bodies have been found and recognized.

Earlier than the boat was pulled from the seabed, divers searched the within of the boat earlier this month, however they didn’t discover any of the lacking individuals.

See also  Anti-Russia Kishida and oil: Improve from nations bombing Yemen

Sources stated that the regional coast guard headquarters plans to conduct a large-scale search with elevated personnel within the three days from Sunday, if climate permits.

Following the accident, the Kazu I used to be initially found on the seabed at a depth of some 120 meters. It was raised to about 20 meters under the floor, but it surely fell to the seabed at a depth of about 180 meters whereas being towed on Tuesday morning.

The boat was pulled up once more and positioned on the Kaishin within the early hours of Friday. Work to empty water from the boat is underway on the port, to be able to transfer it onto land.

In a time of each misinformation and an excessive amount of info, high quality journalism is extra essential than ever.
By subscribing, you may assist us get the story proper.